Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"the truth about inspiration"

there's something about the end of the holidays that makes it feel like winter should be over and spring should just be here already. i can't tell you how wrong it feels that it's still cold and snowy out. we've had so much of it already. haven't we met our quota? i know. it's useless to complain about the weather, but it's what it does to me. it makes me move slow and want to sleep. drink tea. knit. watch girl stuff on tv all day.

somehow, against feeling this way, i've managed to be on top of things, for the most part. gallery night is this weekend and i think i'm in good shape. i've gotten stuff done. i'm going to be honest with you. i don't always want to make art and much less be creative. i know that everyone has this idea that artists are just always oozing with creative juices and flare, but it's not true. sometimes, a lot of the time, i have to push myself, i mean really push myself to make a painting. does this mean i don't like to paint. heck no. i love it! but there are days that i just don't feel like it. for whatever reason. i'm unclear about a new idea i have, i think my stuff sucks, i'd rather be with my friends, i get lonely, i have a ton of other things to do, etc... but it happens.

i love love love being an artist and having this studio that i so appreciate, but i don't want to pretend that i always feel like doing this. HOWEVER, if there is one thing i know is that you just can't always wait for inspiration to hit you over the head. it's so awesome when it does, but in reality you just have to create your own motivation and get excited about things that don't necessarily scream out your name. you just have to push through it and make inspiration happen for you. on the other side of not wanting to do it is discovery, beautiful mistakes and your very own illumination.

“The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up & get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part & a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. ~ Chuck Close



1 comment :

  1. How funny to read your post on inspiration just as I was finishing up mine! I pretty much came to the same conclusion too :) I went into quite a bit of detail about how I make inspiration happen for me. It was kind of a scary thing to write about; almost as if I was "admitting" to something. Here's the post, in case you're interested: http://nelliewindmill.com/2014/01/15/where-do-you-get-your-ideas/

    xo

    ReplyDelete